Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Beauty/Happiness.

I was talking to a friend the other day. Out of sight, out of mind he asked me if I would like to answer a riddle. Knowing myself, I said yes straight away. He proceeded. The question was - If I have a bee in one hand, what do I have in the other?

I stared at him blankly. Oh gosh, I thought, I was never very good with riddles.

"Honey," I said arrogantly.

"Nope," he said. "Do you give up?"

Damn I thought, beaten at my own game.

"Beauty," he said with a smirk on his face. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

I didn't understand. But now I do.

Another scenario. The other day I was looking at photos with my Mum from a wedding my family was at in January last year.

Mum said "Oh look at that. Weren't you wearing a nice suit that day?"

It was a nice suit. But I couldn't see what was different between my suit and say, for instance, my Uncle's suit or my Dad's suit. They were all black. I got mine at the same place my dad got his.

"Mum," I said. "They all look the same to me."

My Mum started pointing at different aspect of our outfits that stood out. She told me that my tie was done nicely, traditionally with the 'double-Windsor' and that my Dad's looked like a clip-on tie.

And when I looked closer, I understood what my Mum meant. And of course, linking back to that statement above. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We all see beauty in a different way.

So, knowing myself I asked my Mum, "What do you think of this photo?"
She replied, "Oh, the photo is absolutely gorgeous."
"No," I said. "It's not the photo. It is the people that are in it."

I pointed at myself, stood up and walked away.

So, it's obvious now isn't it? Everyone sees beauty in a different way. I remember biology camp two years back. I was doing the dishes when a beetle fell from the air and landed in the boiling hot water. I dropped my dish and cutlery, terrified. Anything with more than four legs would literally scare the living light out of me. Curiously, my friend put her hands into the water, took out the beetle (which was boiled alive) and continued to entertain herself for the rest of the night with it. Entertaining in the sense of chasing me around with it.

So, what do you think is beautiful? Leave this a comment! It's my first blog after all. This might be weird, but I love grass. You know, the green stuff that you might have in front of your house. I just love sitting in it, it gives a prickly sensation and when I'm lost in thought I find myself constantly pulling the out the grass. The feeling is so satisfying.

But I guess something more commonly referred to with beauty is a person. I always browse the net, go on forums, look at peoples profiles. Internet stalker? That's me. But there is always the odd girl or guy (yes I'm confident with my sexuality) that stands out from the rest. Those that I think are being natural instead of being someone else. Just a random thought. Just like in Austin Powers. Why do all the ladies find him attractive? He looks like someone mixed the genes of a caveman and a rainbow, put it in some turkey paste and nine months later you have this. Don't worry about that. I hope I am getting my point across though.

Everyone sees beauty differently.
Everyone has a different definition of beautiful.

You are beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment